$37.5 Million Facebook Location Tracking Class Action Settlement
Photo Credit: Unsplash | Updated: August 12, 2023
Claim Form Deadline: August 11, 2023 (Passed)
Estimated Payout: $37.5 Million
Proof required: No
What is the Facebook User Location Tracking Class Action About?
A $37,500,000 class action settlement has been reached with Meta Platforms, Inc., previously known as Facebook, Inc. The class action lawsuit against Facebook claimed that users were affected by improper Facebook location tracking policies and actions. Facebook users who live in the United States and used the Facebook app with location services turned off at any point during a specific time period may be qualified for a potential cash payout from the class action settlement. The applicable time period is between January 30, 2015 and April 18, 2018.
The class action lawsuit alleged that Meta Platforms (formerly Facebook, Inc) was still gathering the location information of Facebook users in the U.S. even for users who had their location services opted out, or switched off using their iPhone or android devices. Meta / Facebook has agreed to settle the class action lawsuit, but has not admitted to any wrongdoing and denies liability for any actions expressed in the class action lawsuit. Meta has agreed to pay out $37,500,000 which will be used to pay for valid claims by Facebook users that qualify.
How Do I Qualify?
You may qualify for a payment from the Facebook app location tracking class action settlement if you were a Facebook user and you resided in the United States between January 30, 2015 and April 18, 2018. You must have had location services switched off in your Facebook application, and must have been using your iOS (iPhone Operating System) or Android based smartphone or smart device at any point during that time.
You will need to submit a valid claim form by August 11, 2023 11:59 Pacific Standard Time at the latest to be considered for a cash payment from the Facebook location tracking settlement. You can find the claim form below.
In order to qualify for payment from the Facebook location tracking class action settlement, you will need to provide your contact information to the settlement administrator via their website. The link to the website is below. You will also need to contact the class action administrator if any of your contact information or address changes between the time of filing the claim form and payments are processed and distributed. You will need to provide the following information in order to qualify:
• Whether you are a U.S. Resident,
• If you were a Facebook user between January 30, 2015 and April 18, 2018 while being in the United States,
• Whether or not you had location services disabled in your Facebook app on your iPhone or Android smartphone at any time between January 30, 2015 and April 18, 2018,
• Whether you accessed Facebook while you had location services disabled in your Facebook application.
The Facebook Settlement Claim Form Asks for a Username
You may be asked to provide your public Facebook username, if you have one, in addition to your email that is associated with your Facebook user profile. Facebook usernames help people find your public Facebook profile more easily. Your Facebook username will result in a public URL link that will look something like this:
You can find your username by clicking on your user profile avatar in the circle on the top right:
• Click on 'Settings and Privacy'
• Next, on the left you will find the 'Accounts Center'. Click on 'See more in Accounts Center' or go directly to this Facebook accounts center link.
• You will find a list of profiles if you have more than one profile, such as an Instagram profile as well as a Facebook account. Choose a profile.
• Click on username to see whether you have a username, and if so what it is. Use this profile if you are filling out the claim form below.
How Do I Find Class Action Settlements?
Find all the latest Class Action Settlements you can qualify for by getting notified of new lawsuits as soon as they are open to claims:
For more open class actions keep scrolling below.
Breastfeeding in the Workplace?
Child Booster Seat Settlement
Deadline: December 11, 2023
Bounced Check Bank Fees Compensation